17 November, 2009

Best Indications

It started out as a possible fill-in for a friend who guides for steelhead in Ohio's Steelhead Alley region, but then out of the blue, Schultzy asks - "What're you doing Monday? Fish are in the PM and I have the day off." When a professional guide and fly shop manager invites you to fun fish, unless it's impossible, you go.

It was cool to fun fish with a guide. Mike took me to all his fave holes and we really just had a play day on a great river. He got to chillax and I got to learn some more at the same time.

Highlight was finally getting comfortable (and even preferring) fishing my indy rig. Chuck n' duck is easier and usually more productive, but as it's running line, it's not REALLY fly fishing. But my roll cast hasn't been that great and I really didn't completely understand how to get my drift right on the indy. That all changed yesterday after fishing nearly 8 hours on that rig. Tuned up my roll cast and mends to get things right where I wanted them. And, more importantly learned how to read the indicator to set depth. Even found I could read holes to assess which style of fishing would be most productive.

With all of that said, didn't catch a thing. No rain for a week meant very low, super clear water. I think every fish in the river saw us the moment the hull of Mike's drift got wet! A few other solid guides were out on the same stretch and everyone had the same result.

Ironically Mike stuck one on the first drift. I did some net work, and we had the first (and only) steelie of the day -- a 9-10# buck, shown at right. Photo complete with Schultz Shit Eating Grin. Nice work, brother!

Great day and a very enjoyable trip, especially as it's sandwiched into a SUPER busy work week. Had to work a much of Sunday to pull this off, but it was worth every moment!

-Sean-

No comments: