04 August, 2010

Another Big Moment

Took a long weekend on the Pere Marquette to camp and fish. Lots of fodder for posts (and more will come), but key was a big success. On Monday, I caught my first fish on a fly that I tied! A very cool moment.

I was fishing nymphs at a new spot that shall remain unnamed. Hit a nice 8" rainbow. When I got him in, I noticed he'd hit on the top fly -- a beadhead pheasant tail nymph that I tied recently. This fly wasn't perfect, but the fish didn't care. He smacked it pretty hard!

This was a nice validation, for me. I proved that I could tie a fly that fooled a trout. And that the time invested in learning and improving my skills actually had value. Can't wait for steelhead season. I'm already tying up a bunch of eggs in various sizes and colors.

-Sean-

No comments: