12 August, 2010

Tying Update

Hot, steamy, sticky weather, rain, thunderstorms has driven me indoors more often of-late. On the upside, it's helped me to start my production tying of eggs for Fall steelhead, as well as filling my nymph box. I picked up a nice clear plastic multi-compartment box at BBT. My goal is to fill it with eggs in a wide range of my most commonly used colors in sizes 8, 10, and 12 by October 1.

So far, my efficiency and quality are way up. I've even started to have more success with Nuke Eggs, after I picked up some egg veil from Feather-Craft (great online supplier when you can't find things locally). Early attempts used pieces of yarn or McFly foam, which both looked BAD. Been tying cream, late roe, cheese, and other more subtle colors that I tend touse on the PM. May tie a few larger bolder colors for bigger dirty water like the Manistique, Muskegon, or Manistee.

My only quality problem is consistently getting wraps one on top of each other. When you can do this, the quality seems much better. I'm sure I'll get better as I progress. I started off tying with an orange thread, recommended by the guy who taught me. I decided to switch to white or light yellow, as I tend to tie more subtle eggs. Finished product looks much better with this tweak.

Of course, I'll need to tie up some of my fave -- the "Superman" egg. Seen Superman ice cream? Then you get the idea. They're big, dirty water flies and conditions have to be just right for them to work (in my experience). But they look SO cool.

I've also been tying some nymphs for trout and steelhead. Primarily some beadhead pheasant tail nymphs, as well as some green caddis nymphs. My early pheasant tails weren't pretty and took way to long to tie. I've got it wired now. I want to tie up a dozen or so caddis, and may even experiment with more chartreuse patterns for Winter efforts. Got to wake up those lethargic steelies!

Totally happy with my Renzetti Traveler vise. I'm glad I listened to the guys at the local fly shop and got a good one. Should last a lifetime.

My goal for the Winter will be learning some drys and well as stoneflys. Stay tuned!

-Sean-

No comments: