22 October, 2010

Bring It!

Record low last night at 26 degrees. Consistently lower temps. Windy for the past few days. And on-and-off rain starting on Saturday for the next week. All the telltale signs...

It's CHROME TIME!

Got a couple little guys on my salmon trip, and been hearing reports of steelhead in small numbers. But everyone says the real push hasn't gotten rolling yet. But that's all about to change.

And, just in time. Next week I'm on a two-day business fishing (hey, I don't golf...) trip with some clients and folks from the publishing industry. We've got some of the NW Michigan region's best guides in the team at Hawkins. I talked to the organizer yesterday and it sounds like we'll be on the Manistee river. I enjoy the Manistee and trips like this make it better. A prolific river with lots of fish. But not readily wadeable due to its size and lack of good public access.

One of the challenges of such trips is narrowing gear. I think I've settled on the TFO Deer Creek switch rod with both indy and skagit lines, and Orvis Clearwater with chuck-and-duck rig. Being left-handed and fishing in a group, it's just easiest to have my own gear so guides don't get surprised.

Up after that will be a trip to the Upper Peninsula with Dad and perhaps others in early November. No evidence of steelhead yet when Dad was up last week, but this change of weather should change that. Can't wait - the tug is the drug!

-Sean-

No comments: