01 April, 2011

Review - Simms Rivershed Wading Boot

Now that I have a few days in with my Simms Rivershed boots, I think it's time for a review. I picked these up last Fall to replace my aging Simms L2's. While the L2's are a great boot, they have a couple of key drawbacks. First, they're pretty lightweight for any serious hiking. And, second, the Aquastealth were an early rubber sole. The traction is OK, at-best. All of that aside, they've been comfortable, durable and served me well. It's just time for something more.

Last weekend I did my first serious hiking in the Riversheds down in Eastern Ohio's Steelhead Alley region. We waded a lot of water and hiked a lot of trails -- easily over 10 miles. The best praise I can give these boots? No blisters, no hot spots, and no stubbed toes. They were supportive, grippy (more on that in a moment), and remained comfortable all day. The conditions in Steelhead Alley are a real challenge - from flat ledge rock in the rivers to a super-slippery muddy clay on the banks. The Rivershed did it all.

Another benefit is the toe box. Stubbing a toe into a surprise basket-ball sized rock mid-stream can help you uncover some new words in your vocabulary quickly. The Rivershed toe box offers a nice rigid design and great protection -- while remaining flexible enough for good performance while hiking.

One issue you'll want to pay attention to is fit. I find the forefoot is considerably larger than my L2s. Initially I was concerned it was too large, but I've found a couple of things help. First, I added a liner sock which adds volume. But, more importantly, I've really made an effort to lace the lower up very tight. Both make a world of difference. I'll be trying an additional insole on the my next trip to see if that helps reduce volume without impacting comfort.

But the best upgrade was the Hardbite Star Cleat. These things are bad ass! Simms claims the offer equivalent grip to 5 conventional studs and I believe it. The shale ledge bottoms of Steelhead Alley are notoriously slick, difficult wading. No problem with these cleats! I'm eager to try them in some other tough spots.

Another benefit is my L2's will now have a new life -- as my boat boots, or for use in hot weather in easier conditions like the AuSable where the Rivershed might be too much boot.

If you're looking for a great boot at a great value, I highly recommend the Simms Rivershed.

-Sean-

No comments: