23 August, 2011

Product Review - Scott A3 907-4

I've got in a few days with my Scott A3 907-4, so I thought a review was in order. This stick was initially purchased for my October trip to The Stonefly Inn and the waters of Montana, but I also figured I had plenty of other uses for it in the Great Lakes region, too. Turns out I was right! Thus far, I've put it to use:
  • Stripping streamers for Spring trout
  • Tossing poppers to panfish (OK, it's overkill, but it was what I had along...)
  • Stripping streamers to smallmouth bass
I've paired this rod with a Ross Evolution LT 4 reel - an awesome combo! For this stick, I have spools with a 200 grain Rio sink tip, a Rio Outbound Short intermediate line, and a Rio Clouser floating line. Thus far, I've only cast the sink tip and the Clouser line.

Sink tip lines are an interesting challenge for a fly rod, in my opinion. The rod needs some backbone to effectively throw a sink tip, but it's still got be be light enough to cast all day without wearing your arm out. My A3 walks that line nicely. The medium-fast action has some oomph to get the line moving, but I've cast this stick for pretty long periods without fatigue. This rod's also equally comfortable tossing poppers large and small.

Thus far I've gotten a couple of decent sized trout and smallmouth on it. Seems to have the backbone to fight like a champ. I'm eager to hook into a hawg in Montana to really see what it's got.

I'm quickly finding this to be a favorite in my quiver that's far more versatile than I'd even expected. Highly recommended and a great value!

-Sean-

No comments: