29 March, 2013

A Change is in the Wind

Though we've had the mercury crack 60 a time or two this season, you just knew it wasn't a true indicator of Spring. Here in Michigan, you're not safe until you're past St. Patty's Day. In parts of our State, even that wasn't true - some areas saw 20" of snow over just a few days the week after.

But today is different...

Everyone's just a bit more jovial. And the sun feels like the promise of Summer. I was talking to a fishing buddy on the phone this morning and we both remarked how we were ready to chase some smallies and strip streamers for monster trout. Nevermind that we're actually in the thick of the Spring steelhead run.

Me, I'm ready -- or well on my way. My road bike's gotten an awesome component upgrade with a full Shimano Integra set-up. My drift boat's Up North getting a fresh bottom treatment. And my skis are dried and stowed for the season.

Today just feels like a portent of the beautiful Michigan summer I hope is coming. I'm ready for that first 90 degree bike ride (WTF, why do I like a ride on a hot day so much?). And for the familiar tug of a nice smallmouth on a Huron river evening. Getting in a few miles on the mountain bike trails up at Island Lakes with Project Singlespeed. Or a pleasant afternoon on a sporting clays course. And, of course, for another of my favorite outdoor activities - Detroit Tigers baseball!

It's coming. Are YOU ready?

-Sean-

No comments: