06 June, 2014

Tack-Driver

My Browning Buckmark .22lr semi-auto has always been one of my favorite handguns to shoot. Feels good in-hand, very accurate, good sight picture. I just shoot this gun really well. But its not without drawbacks. First, it's a bit fussy on ammo. Anything less than mid-grade stuff and you get 2-3 stovepipe jams per box. It's very reliable with CCI MiniMag. Good luck finding any. And second, there's a lot of plastic in this gun. Yeah, I know, when properly engineered, plastic is fine stuff, blah, blah, blah. But somehow guns (like fly reels) should be metal. Finally the upper is really basically held together by two screws. These can work loose, affecting point of impact. Plus it makes it a bit of a pain to do a tear-down. Don't get me wrong - I love this gun and will likely never sell it.

But I'm looking to build the ultimate tack-driving target range .22 handgun. I want something that shoots nearly any ammo without a burp. That feels solid in-hand. And that enables me to put up dime-sized groups at under 30 feet. I've been poking around online for a while and found that the Ruger Mark III series has a reputation for having this potential. It's a solid, proven gun. Quality from the factory is basically very good. And there are a TON of aftermarket parts available to improve it.


A recent stop at Guns Galore, in Fenton, MI uncovered a Ruger Mark III Target model in stainless steel (hey, I have a shiny gun attraction...). And their prices were considerably lower than list. As soon as I held this fine firearm, I knew I'd found the basic platform for this project. Solid. Fits my hand like a glove. Great sight picture. I like the balance from the steel lower and bull barrel. Sold!

Of course, I'm aware of Ruger's reputation for difficult tear-down and re-assembly, but it seems like a small trade-off for the benefits. Plus, I watched the videos on Ruger's site and it doesn't look THAT bad. I'm eager to clean out the factory grease/protectant and get this one cleaned and lubed for a trip to the range!

I'll be writing more about this one after I get a chance to shoot it, and then as I start to make modifications. At the outset, I think it will be a candidate for a Volquartsen trigger/action kit, some Target style wood grips, and possibly Williams Fire Sights. But first I want to get to know it and see the strengths and weaknesses.

Looking forward to this journey!

-Sean-




No comments: