31 July, 2008

Badge of Honor?

Evidently, you can "ride the wheels off" of your mid-level road bike with machine-built wheels. After a few weeks of progressively worsening clicking, then pinging, then outright racket on Tuesday night's ride it was off to the bike shop.

I've had the wheels trued and tightened a couple of times in my Giant OCR's life. After listening to it, learn about my mileage, and observing that I'm a "bigger rider" the shop manager at Great Lakes Cycles (good guys -- check 'em out if you're near Ann Arbor) said my wheels are the issue. Machine built wheels just can't achieve the uniformity, tension and precision of a hand-built wheel. Plus, their hand-built wheels are lifetime guaranteed, and they'll re-true them anytime at no charge.

But OUCH, not cheap. We'll be doing the rear wheel now and perhaps the front over the winter when finances allow. On the upside, I'll get a better hub, stronger rim, and far better spokes.

Meanwhile, he got current wheel tuned up so I can get another week or so out of it while I'm waiting on the new one. Good, since I'm looking forward to a ride tonight and targeting 40+ mile ride on Saturday, weather permitting.

So, I guess I "wore out my wheels". Or maybe I'm just a monkey on a tricycle...

-Sean-

1 comment:

boredgames said...

wow... I'm lucky I can fill the tires on my bike with air!!