08 August, 2008

It's Element(al)

After years of owning Jeeps (4 Grand Cherokees and a Cherokee) I made the 40-year-old misstep into a 2006 Mustang. Don't get me wrong -- they're great cars -- fast, handle great, comfortable. But, when you do the stuff I like to do, not so good. This past snowy winter I vowed would be my last with the silver bullet.

But what to drive? With gas over $4 a gallon, my dream F150 Quad Cab didn't seem wise -- nor even smaller SUV's. I'd always eyed the Honda Element as cool, quirky, functional, and most importantly something my Dad wouldn't drive (sorry, Dad...).





One quick look at the super functional interior sold it. Rubber floors with rubber mats. Back seats that fold flat and then flip up to the sides individually. Lots of great storage. Ass-kickin' stereo with subwoofer and iPod hook up. Easy mounting for my Yakima racks. Done.

And, I love it. Great mileage. Fun to drive. I think it will be good in the snow. Need to take the bike somewhere? No problem - fold one seat up and put it in the back. Want to flyfish? Drop the tailgate and sit on it to put waders and boots on. After you're done, just throw the wet slimy gear in. It holds, it hauls and it's cool. I've included a few pix of mine (I'll get better ones soon) -- doing a little customizing to make it me and/or functional. Now I look forward to winter. Bring it on!!!
-Sean-








No comments: