22 December, 2008

Cold? Where?

Positively polar here in Michigan - but it's not stopping me. Went skiing at Caberfae on Saturday and doubt it topped the low teens. I had ideas of fly fishing for steelhead on the Pere Marquette in the afternoon, but about two runs down the ski slope cleared that up for me. Brrrrr!

Beautiful morning though. I got an early start, so I was on the slopes 15 minutes after opening. Got to see the slow arc of the morning winter sun across the Manistee River Valley. Really a pretty morning. Got to run the Line powder skis a little and really enjoyed that. And the South Peak area was open for the first time this season.
The peace that happens when it is really cold astounds me. The world gets just a little quieter. And the crunch in the snow that happens is just about my favorite sound.
But Sunday found me at the ski shop for some warmer gloves!!!!!
Been plotting to dust off my cross-country skis and finally did so on Sunday. Unfortunately, I think the day's high was 13 degrees (that's Fahrenheit...) and wind gusts up to 35mph made a trek ill-advised. I'll wait for a little warmer day.
Happy holidays to you and your family. Hope you're well, safe, and happy.
-Sean-

No comments: