05 January, 2009

You Meet the Nicest Folks

Great day at Caberfae skiing on Saturday. Bluebird skis. Cold, but no wind. Snow on South Peak area was very nice.



When you ski by yourself, you get to meet some nice folks during the day. Chatting with people on the lift ride is one of the things I truly enjoy about skiing, actually. The social animal in me just loves it. But a few times a year I make a really good connection. Last year it was a local who turned me on to a great restaurant and bar in town, and another who showed me some AMAZING powder stashes. Foot of fresh even a week after a storm (what's a few trees to ski through?)!

Saturday was no exception. Toward the end of the day ended up skiing with Shannon and Shereen (with apologies to the latter -- I think I botched your name). Both were skiing solo and had connected and invited me to join them. Nice folks, super-interesting and they could both RIP down the slopes! It was fun to share a chair and a hill with both of them. Was cool to ski with some folks who could push me a bit, too. Most of my friends who ski are more intermediates. I had to kick it up a notch to keep up with these two. Plus riding up together meant avoiding the usual introductory ride -- "Where are you from? Do you ski here much? Shoulda' been here LAST weekend..." -- and have some very interesting discussions.


Ended the day with a beautiful sunset. Of course, the camera batteries had died by then, so no pix! Nice day steelehad fishing prior -- but that's for another post this week.

No comments: