06 February, 2009

Gear Head

Somehow, I seem drawn to the activities that require gear. Or maybe I just realize that the right gear can make a big difference in a successful and pleasant outing and a miserable one. Here are a few random favorite items.

Fishpond Pitchfork Clippers
Fishpond stuff is just aesthetically cool. They even managed to take the lowly line snipper to a new level. I own two. And yes, they cost too much for what they are. But they're so cool.

Cabela's Brittany Upland Boots
When I started bird hunting I quickly realized I needed some good, supportive, waterproof boots. I didn't want to spend a lot and found these. Who needs $200 Danner's?




Simms RiverTek & WaderWick BaseLayer
I can't say enough good about this stuff. It's light, it wicks like a sponge, and seems pretty durable. Stirrups on bottoms are nice so they're not sliding northward with activity. Great in the water, but a really good base layer for almost any activity.
Giro G10 Helmet w/Tune Ups
I resisted skiing with a helmet for a long time. Thought it made me old and uncool or something. One time out in this exceptional brain bucket and I realize how wrong it was. Comfortable, warm (when it needs to be), well-ventilated (when it needs to be), and surprisingly cool looking. And adding Tune-Ups for built-in sound completes the package. I feel like an armadillo in it.

Nordica Speedmachine 10

Great fit, great performance, even cool style. I was very happy with these boots. Then I had Rob from Sun & Snow Sport in Ann Arbor do a full-custom footbed and fit. WOW. I always thought ski boots were just supposed to be uncomfortable. Turns out they don't have to be. And, energy transfer to the skis is astounding now.
Giant OCR3
I love my bike - it was affordable, handles great, and is super-comfy. I got a deal on a previous year's model and have literally ridden the wheels of it. But the core is a frameset with just-right geometry and the right blend of spring and suppleness. Yeah, I've made some upgrades (the adjustable stem HAD to go!) to it, but all fairly minor stuff.
So, there you have it. A few faves from my bag of tricks.
-Sean-


No comments: