12 February, 2009

Learning

With the excitement of the unplanned swim, I didn't get to what I really wanted to talk about from that day.

I'm really captivated by steelhead fishing on flies. There's something about the strategy, experimentation, tweaking of rigging, and all that appeals to me. That it's a chance to be on a deserted river on a beautiful winter day doesn't hurt.

During the past few months I've had the chance to learn more about various Great Lakes techniques - chuck n' duck, indicator, and swinging. I've only caugh fish chuck n' duck, but I think I owe that more to the excellent guiding skills of Jon Ray (www.hawkinsflyfishing.com). On my own I've mostly been indicator fishing, with a lot of input and knowledge from Mike Schultz of Colton Bay Outfitters.

On my last trip, I finally felt like I wasn't just doing what someone else told me to do. That I had begun to understand the "why" rather than the "how" and adjust my tactics accordingly. Watch the indicator for the proper depth, move the split shot around, etc. And when I snagged up and lost flies, I was able to re-tie quickly and get back fishing. I saw the river in a whole different way and it was a really empowering feeling.

-Sean-

No comments: