27 March, 2009

More Gear

OK, a few more faves...

iPod 2Gb Shuffle
It looks cool. It clips on about anywhere. It's small. It holds a ton of tunes. And it's cheap. What more could you want? Well, now I see the new one's even smaller, holds more and costs only ten bucks more. Wow. Great for skiing, at the gym, even love it in the car.

Springfield XD Handgun
I enjoy guns I shoot well. And I shoot this one really well. Mine's a full-size in 9mm in the older (non "M") series. The grip safety is a nice advance over the Glock design and adds a measure of safety. Whenever I shoot this gun, I'm glad I own it. Easy to maintain, too. Strips for cleaning in about 30 seconds. I'm curious to try the big brother in .45 ACP sometime.

Line Prophet 100 Skis
I live in the Midwest, so I don't get them out a lot. But when the conditions are right, these rock. My last outing was two days of 8" of fresh pow and they were just superb. Haven't had the chance to get them to UT for powder days (man, I wish I was there this week -- 21" at Alta!!!) but they seem like they'll be a great tool. For a powder ski, they're surprisingly versatile. Only thing that doesn't seem too work is serious hardpack and ice - only because they chatter.


Simms G4 Jacket
The best GoreTex shell I've ever owned. Super-functional with a zillion pockets all in the right place. A well-designed hood for the really bad days. And the GoreTex ProXCR seems like it will be virtually indestructible. Plus, it's orange and it looks cool. It's Simms. Need I say more?




Custom Bootfit
I had a MUCH more comfortable and high-performance ski season as a result of Rob Parent of Sun and Snow. I've had mid-range bootfits, but never the whole deal -- carbon fiber heat-molded footbed and all. Over several sessions, Rob stretched, ground, tweaked, and manhandled my boots until they were like slippers. Slippers that deliver AMAZING energy transfer to my skis. Think about turning and WOOSH! there you go! And, surprisingly not very expensive.


Ross Essence FS Rod/Reel Combo
Mine was $130 -- rod, reel, backing, line, leader. Tie a fly on and go fishing. For the price, you can't beat it. Sweet little rig (mine's 5/6 wt.) that works on a lot of streams. If you're thinking about dabbling in fly fishing, I highly recommend this as a place to start.

Smartwool PhD Light Ski Socks
During the bootfit, I found out I was wearing socks that were too thick. So I switched over to these. Amazing the difference a good, comfortable sock makes. Feet stay warm and cozy, boots fit great! Best $20 you'll ever spend!

Enjoy!
-Sean-


2 comments:

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Finally! You have admitted to the wonderfulness that is wool!

Unknown said...

Hey Sean! Pete T. told me about your blog...I've enjoyed looking around. Spike's keg of nails is good spot for sure!! I build fly rods as a way to get away from all the marketing crap... but, if I want to sell any... I got to do the marketing crap... ha.
http://www.caneflyrods.us

Cheers, Joe Loverti
Siemens Marketing