27 April, 2009

Fish & Learn

Ended up with the opportunity to fish the PM again on Friday, courtesy of my buddy Dan. Once again, we were with master guide, Gene Lake. Great day -- got to own Waddel's Riffles for most of the day with five guys and two boats. Benefits of gettting up EARLY (try 4am)! Dan had the hot hand with five fish landed. I got a couple on, but no success in landing.

I love fishing with a guide who likes to teach, and Gene's a really good example. On Friday he suggested I bring my steelhead rod and he'd help me with fine-tuning the rigging and teach me some more about how to properly fish the indicator. Got a lesson in roll-casting, and double spey. I'm no expert, but at least I have a clue now.

Now that I've done more chuck n' duck style fishing, I wanted to get rigged up for that. During the day I remember that I have an Orvis Rocky Mountain reel that I'd been planning to use for Fall salmon with a spare spool. A quick chat with Gene about line and a 15-minute visit to Baldwin Bait & Tackle after we get off the river for Climax Zip Line and backing and PRESTO, I've got a rig for the UP this weekend!

A great day on the water and an even better day for personal growth!

-Sean-

P.S. Finally figured out a digital point-and-shoot solution and new camera is on the way. Look for photos to return to this blog soon!

No comments: