30 April, 2009

In the Bag

Those who know me well will recognize I'm a little freaky about organization. Things have a home. And when they're not in their home, they're not happy. And they get lost, damaged, or you can't locate them when you need them.

In recent years, I've discovered activity-specific organization that's been hugely helpful. It started with small toolboxes for repairs -- I have a toolbox for bike tools, another for gun cleaning suppliers, and still another for ski waxing and tuning gear. But now I've expanded it to having bags dedicated to activities.

Last night, packing for UP fishing trip was simple. Grab the fly fishing bag (reels, fly boxes, tippet, and various floats and weights), stuff waders, boots, and vest into wader bag; and then two rod tubes. Clothes in another bag -- done.

While this approach doesn't guarantee elimination of lost items (somehow I managed to lose my fishing and hunting license last year...), it sure helps. Where are my spring ski gloves? In the bag. The 8# fluoro? In the bag (at left).

Of course, for this to work, you have to get stuff back in the bag after you're done. But I've found that the benefits of organization seem to be enough to motivate me to ensure that I do this promptly.

And, before you say it, yes -- I'm a freak. I'm good with it. At least I can find my stuff while you're still fumbling for yours!

-Sean-

No comments: