06 May, 2009

No Match for the Hatch

Capped off an excellent UP/Northern Michigan fishing trip with a stop on the Au Sable last night. More on the rest of the trip this week when I have some time (work calls). But wanted to write a quick note on the Au Sauble experience (my first).

With the help of the guys at Old Au Sable, we found a great location, got some solid pointers on flies, and encouragement that an "epic" Hendrickson hatch was going to happen that evening. I can't say enough good things about Andy and his staff. If you're headed through Grayling and have even a passsing interest in fly fishing, these are great folks with a terrific shop. Very willing to help newbies!

So, Paul and I drive to the first access point they suggest. NOBODY there!!! Woo-hoo! Wader up! My fly efforts have been mostly wet nymphing or various steelhead techniques. This was my first true attempt with a bit of knowledge and the right equipment on the dry fly. The hatch was surely on -- the bugs were so think they almost looked like little snowstorms at times. And they looked just like what I had tied on. Paul got a couple small ones, while I had some solid interest but no takers.

But, what a cool experience. Easy relaxed wade down a superb river. Leisurely casting (after a few days of more vigorous chuck n' duck and indy fishing for steelies). An entirely pleasant way to spend a nice summer evening. Of course, the two mile hike back upstream to the truck in waders wasn't optimal, but I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. I will definitely be back!

I'll be back with more on UP trip this week -- including lots of photos!

-Sean-

No comments: