03 June, 2009

Muscle Memory

Back at the gym this week on regular schedule after slacking off for a bit (and drinking more craft-brewed beer than I should...). Definitely sore and surprised how fast things fade. That got me to thinking about the importance of practice and muscle memory in so many things I do.

Fly casting -- learned from Chuck Hawkins that practice casting just 15-20 minutes a few times a week will work wonders within only a couple of months. Sure enough, when I practice cast more, I cast much better. Improved distance, control, and no Rowdy Yates whip crackin' on the back cast.

Cycling -- having to re-learn how to ride a mountain bike after several years only on road bikes. It's weird and surprising how different it is. Fortunately, my balance is solid, so that helps. Still can't believe people ride those in clipless pedals. INSANE.

Skiing -- every year I start out slow and can feel myself improve through the year as the movements become instinctual, rather than conscious. In recent years as I increase frequency, that time is shorter, but it's always there.

Sporting Clays -- a couple of years ago I was shooting clays pretty regularly. I quickly found that the more I did this, the better I was. On first time out this year I had to re-learn some things -- like "don't aim, POINT".

Well, I suppose the old, "practice makes perfect" adage may have some truth to it.

-Sean-

No comments: