18 June, 2009

An Open Letter to the MI DNR and the National Forest Service

Normally, I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories, but I may have to make an exception...

Both the MI State Parks and National Forest campgrounds have all moved to the BIG steel fire rings. I get it -- safer, protects us from the idiots who don't respect fire. A good idea.

But why not put some ventilation at the base so they draw properly? The last few fires I've had were a BEAST to start. Fires need oxygen and when they're 18" down in a steel ring, it's not getting there. Which affords you the opportunity to blow on the fire until you practically pass out. Cool, huh?

Also, in Michigan we've had a lot of issues with destructive insects wiping out entire forests. So the state has a campaign not to move firewood and buy it locally. Which brings up another challenge -- really lousy firewood available locally. The wood I picked up in Baldwin was green and mostly pine.

The result is a great combo of poor wood and firepits that won't draw. Took me a solid hour to get a fire going the last two times. For the future, I think all I can do is be very selective about buying local firewood.

-Sean-

No comments: