18 August, 2009

One for Fun

Gotten in a fair bit of saddle time on the single-speed. And, I love it. The simplicity just completely works. Out on the trail I can hear the geared folk coming a mile off -- clink, ker-plunk, sproing... as they shuffle gears to get into the right one for the uphill, the descent, the corner, whatever. Got a hill to climb? Pedal harder.

Plus, I feel so much more in-tune with the bike, the trail, and my body. Much more able to find the groove of the ride.

Only downside I've found are moderate downhills. With 31-18 gearing you spin out pretty fast. It's not an issue on steeper hills -- no need to pedal there anyway! The Hammerschmidt front crankset (basically gives you two gear ratios, without two cogs) looks appealing, but that's more hardware, cables, etc. which I don't want.

And you stand out in the parking lot and on the trail. Maybe as a retro eccentric, but the s/s does seem to garner a measure of respect! I seldom see any others sans gears, even at crowded trailheads.

Finally an update - the WTB Laser V saddle and I have made peace. I think I just needed to get my arse broken in properly (seriously -- I was reading an article in Bicycling that talked about just this issue). And the narrow profile works well for leverage in technical trail spots.

Diggin' my new (to me) ride! Only issue is the road bike's not seeing as many miles this summer.

-Sean-

No comments: