09 September, 2009

Hardware and Software


May head north to the Pere Marquette river this weekend - early King Salmon are in and trout seem to still be going well. This means the shift to the big gear is on. All summer I primarily fished my 6 wt. 9' Scott A2 quite happily. Great for trout and smallmouth bass.

But salmon and steelhead are another thing. From the simple line-leader-fly of dry fly trout fishing, I move to more complex rigs. Now the decision of indicator fishing on floating lines versus chuck-and-duck on running lines. Doesn't help that I've been reading a couple of books on Great Lakes salmon and steelhead that are just fueling the overthinking. Fortunately, during the off-season I added some gear so I have both styles of rigs. After Fall fishing in the U.P. I started to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each style and how to match it to the river.

I think this is one key appeal of fly fishing, for me. As I learn more, it becomes even more enjoyable. Knowledge truly is power. And, you catch more fish!

Should be the start of a fun adventure. Have several Fall trips planned this season, and will undoubtedly do lots more winter steelheading.

-Sean-

No comments: