30 October, 2009

Brothers in Arms

Some great times with some good friends this week, old and new. I love fishing solo, but I equally love the camaraderie of a good group trip, too.

Jim invited me on his annual trip a couple of years back. We'd gotten to know each other as he represents some magazines the I advertise in on behalf of clients. After our first trip we figured out that we fish well together - easygoing, but both a bit driven at the same time. Now this trip has morphed into something larger and even better. So I was thrilled to have Jim land the biggest steelie of the trip. And, he did it on a more complex rig than just standard chuck n' duck bottom bouncing!

Through Jim's trips I met guide extraordinaire Jon Ray. A day on the water with Jon is bound to be a fun one - doesn't hurt that this guy knows how to find fish. And, while Jon's got hundreds of clients, it's always like being out with an old friend. Only he knows about 87,000 times more about catching steelhead than any of my other friends.

And Troy - a treat to have him along on this trip. Troy's one of my clients, but one whom I've been lucky enough to count as a personal friend. A truly unique and exceptional guy with many talents, he's also one of the genuinely nicest human beings I know. When he joined up on this trip, I was excited that this experienced fisherman was going to get out on his first experience for steelhead on flies. Even though he got skunked on day one, at the end of the day he's borrowing my stick to go at it again! On day two he got to fish the PM. Got one steelie on, but found out why they're a top game fish. But nice consolation prize - a solid 14# salmon!

Jim, Jon, and Troy -- as always, great to hang with you guys. As well as new friends Mike, Andy, Dean, Tim, and Doug. A great trip with a great group.

-Sean-

No comments: