13 October, 2009

Tickle Me, Salmo

Got a couple pics back from last week's salmon trip on the PM. What a great day! Hooked up within the first three casts, but didn't realize it until after that first fish got off. Salmon hit with a dull "thud" that's unlike steelhead or trout. Then they run away like a bulldozer. What a fun fight!

I think I hooked up on 15-20 fish during the day. This resulted in 6-8 solid fights - fish I either chased down the river and they broke off, headed under logs or other cover, or just lost the hookset. But I managed to steer this hen clear of obstructions and into the net!

Cool part was that after a few hook-ups I could tell which fish were solidly hooked and I had a decent chance of landing. Felt different when playing them. I credit that to my TFO 10 wt. which seems to have really good line feel.

Fun day! Not sure I'll get out again as salmon run is wrapping up, but steelhead were coming up right behind! Tight lines.

-Sean-

No comments: