29 January, 2010

Ross is Boss

It all started with my first fly gear - a Ross Flystart outfit in 5/6 wt. Then when I picked up a short 3 wt. for small UP streams, I needed a reel, so a Flystart 1 was added to the mix.

But then the addiction took over - I discovered the REALLY good stuff...

When I picked up a good deal on a used Scott A2 6 wt. This nice rod needed an appropriate reel - in this case a Ross CLA 3. Perfect - reasonable price, wonderfully smooth and powerful drag, and fantastic quality. My A2/CLA is my all-around go-to rig for a good portion of the year. I've also ordered a spare spool for this one for a 200 grain sink tip line.



Later, when I was setting up my indicator rig for steelhead (Scott S3 9'6" 8-wt. rod) I picked up a Ross Momentum 5. This thing is a BRUTE of a reel. I think the drag could stop a truck. The champagne finish is unique, and the reel's as pretty as it is powerful. A charging Fall steelhead is no match to this one.


Naturally, I just couldn't leave well enough alone, so when I found a good deal on a Ross CLA 1.5, I just had to upgrade the 3 wt. with a better reel and line. This was a recent find, so I haven't had the chance to get it out on the water.

Ross very rapidly became one of my favorite brands. Every Ross product I've encountered exceeded my expectations. And there's a Ross solution for virtually any price point or application. I've never had any problem with my gear, but I'm told by friends that Ross backs their excellent products up with excellent support.

One of my favorite qualities are the little details - like the spool release knob on my Momentum, or the "no tools" switchover from left to right hand retrieve on the CLA's. Even the very affordable Flystart reels seem surprisingly well-built.

Perhaps my only complaint (if you can call it that) is that their marketing seems to fall short of their exceptional products. The brand's solid, but a bit visually dull when contrasted to more flashy brands like Hatch or Nautilus. Perhaps this is a reflection of Ross' demographic however, as I see anglers of all ages and types with Ross, whereas Hatch seems to be pursuing mostly a younger, more affluent crowd.

Looking for a fly reel? Look at Ross first!

-Sean-

No comments: