27 January, 2010

You Sunk My Battleship!

Been intrigued with sinking tip lines for a while. But with learning chuck n' duck,then indicator, dry flies, terrestrials, and more I really never had time. But the idea of stripping streamers for big brown trout, swinging streamers for steel on big water, or other sub-surface presentations seemed pretty cool.

It started with Tommy Lynch's presentation during the Hawkins Outfitters "Jump Start" school last Spring (highly recommended, btw). Tommy was showing us how to strip streamers on sinking lines. As he was demo'ing in the Manistee river, he got not one, but TWO strikes! Hmmm -- this technique may work. Then a couple of weeks back I saw Tommy's presentation at Colton Bay Outfitters. Big fish after big fish, all caught on stripped streamers on the PM. Yet more evidence.

Sure enough, it seems many of the serious guides advocate some type of sub-surface presentation. Jerry Darkes was hot on sink tips for warm-water species. Jon Ray extolled their virtues for swung flies to steelhead. And more. OK, it's time.

So now I've got a 300 grain Rio DC line on my Orvis Rocky Mt. Turbine IV reel. Should be perfect with one of my 8 weights. for chasing big trout on rivers and swinging to steelhead. Also picked up a 200 grain Rio DC line for use on my Ross CLA III reel on my 6 weight Scott A2 that should be good for smallmouth on the Huron, or chasing trout on UP lakes. Found a great casting video via the Hawkins web site.

Looking forward to learning how to add this strategy to my bag of tricks. As I mature in my fishing, I'm finding that I'm really mostly interested in fly fishing tactics. This means gaining skill with a wide range of techniques to match the water and species (and my mood, I suppose).

Tight lines -- this should be fun!

-Sean-

No comments: