25 February, 2010

Bob Don't Lie

It's said when float/indicator fishing that "Bob Don't Lie". While that statement was originally intended to convey that when it's down, it's Fish ON! it really means a lot more.

Indicator fishing is the one way I can tell what's going on BELOW the water. Straight up and down on drift? All systems go. Tipped slightly back? Even better as it means flies are just slightly ahead of the indicator and the fly line. Tipped WAY forward? Dragging bottom, shorten the depth. Horizontal on the water? Abort - something's not right. Start over as this often means flies are fouled or weight's all wrapped around something.

I've become a big fan of the Blackbird Phantom series -- usually in the 4.0 gram size. Clear bottom is invisible to twitchy steelhead in clear water, but the top's readily visible to me. These seem just about right for most conditions on the Pere Marquette. I picked up some 7.0's for the center pin rig as it seems like I'll be mostly on bigger/faster water that will require more weight to get the flies down.

Now that I've figured out Indy for steelhead, I'm curious to try it again with nymphs for trout this summer. Should be interesting. Although for that use, I'll likely switch back to the smaller, easy to cast Thill Ice n' Fly which reduces tangles and downtime.

But the best part of indicator fishing -- BOB DOWN! Then it's game on!

-Sean-

No comments: