16 February, 2010

The Pin is IN!

My new center pin rig showed up last night. VERY excited - yet one more way to chase chrome! Now I've got the tried-and-true Indy rig, a 300 gr. sink-tip for swinging streamers, chuck n' duck for fast water, and the pin for covering a lot of water on the float. Between all of these, I'm set for almost any situation I might encounter in Michigan. As a friend said, "more tools". We have lots of different types of rivers in this state and no one approach could cover them all.

Been reading the Raven "Guide to Float Fishing" to learn more about rigging, casting, and such. It's a pretty intriguing way to fish -- kind of like Indy to the nth degree! With an Indy rig you can cover only a few feet with a smooth, drag-free, controllable drift. With center pin, the only limitation seems to be eyesight (Bob down? I can't tell?) and other fisherman.

I think I'm most intrigued to try the pin on the Manistique River in the UP. I've actually already got my first drift all picked out! It's not the greatest spot for Indy fishing, although it works OK on C-n-D rigs. But with a 13' 6" rod I think I can cover the whole river effectively.

Excited!

-Sean-

No comments: