06 April, 2010

Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

The incessant need to tinker and tweak continues. The latest victim? My Raven Matrix centerpin reel. And yes, you are correct, I have yet to even wet a line with this rig...

Centerpins are all about a super-smooth free-spooling reels with effortless start up. The idea is a friction-free super long drift where the current unspools line. Folks spend hundreds to thousands on precision machined reels. Several folks recommended the Matrix to me as the best affordable reel available. And it does spin like a perpetual motion machine.

But...

After haunting The Steelhead Site, I find some references to bearing upgrades. Makes sense -- higher end cycling hubs are largely a result of better bearings, ditto for skateboards. So, through the site I find Boca Bearings in Florida. Sure enough, quick search reveals they have bearings for my reel. For under $30 (shipped, too!) I score their top-of-the-line super high tech ceramic bearings. Shipped dry, as is recommended for 'pinning reels -- grease hampers start-up and can really gum up in cold conditions. Stainless steel races, high-tech polymer seals, and smooth, durable ceramic balls. About as high-tech as you could want. Definitely satisfies my need to tweak. Can't wait to drop them in and give it a spin!

Report to follow!

-Sean-

No comments: