04 May, 2010

Learn to Earn

Just back from PM/UP spring trip -- awesome few days with great locations, solid fishing, and fun companions! Can't ask for much more in a fishing excursion.

I was talking to my Uncle the other night about some fishing things and we stumbled onto the element of learning. I realized that this is perhaps my favorite part of fly fishing -- no matter how much I know, there's something more to learn.

But...

As I reflect on last year's version of this trip, my knowledge has grown SO much in so many areas. From reading water, rigging, styles of fishing, even wading skills. And it really empowers me with confidence that makes these trips so much more rewarding.

On this trip, I got exposure to three new styles:
  1. Super-secret drift that I can't speak of; sworn to secrecy by two guides who taught me. But it ROCKS for covering a lot of water.
  2. Switch/spey casting - picked up my new 8-wt. TFO Deer Creek Switch on the way out of town. Way-cool spey guy and fill-in guide for our trip Jed Litwiller was kind enough to lend me a reel spooled up with 450 grain Rio Skagit line. HOLY CRAP! With very minimal effort I was quickly belting out ripping long and accurate casts. This is indicator fishing taken to its next level. Can't wait to get some spooled up on the Momentum 5 reel!
  3. Stripping streamers - got to try out my new rig on the float out on the PM; and scored a nice brown with it! So cool to see the fish roll and chase down the streamer! Even tried it on the Indian River in the UP. Something BIG hit on it at one point, but wasn't able to land it. Thanks to all the guys who played a roll in getting me to check out this style of fishing.

So, lots more tricks in my arsenal -- resulting in lots more hook-ups, solid fights, and fish landed! More on this trip to follow later this week.

-Sean-

No comments: