20 July, 2010

Bulletproof

Picked up my new (to me) Ross Momentum LT V reel yesterday, lined up with 10 wt. Rio Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon line. This will be the indy line for my TFO Deer Creek switch rod this season. Can't WAIT! Now have Skagit line on order -- 475 grain Rio Skagit Short. Run with a 5-foot cheater, I should be ready to swing flies with effortless Skagit casts this Fall.

Momentum LT joins the older style Momentum I already one (Skagit line's going on that one). These things are amazing machines. Built rock-solid, and with the precision of a Swiss watch. I don't even pretend to understand what's going on inside the carbon/Rulon drag system. But, it's got brute stopping force, coupled with fine tuned adjustability to get that drag setting JUST right for a big, angry steelhead. In my day job, I get exposed to a lot of precision machining (ever seen the inner workings of a plastic injection mold?) but the level of fit, finish, and precision on these beasts amazes me.

I've been fortunate to find my Momentums at very good prices. But even at full-freight, I'd say they're worth every penny. Of course, maybe the first time I fish a Hatch or the new Orvis Mirage, maybe I'll change that opinion?

Chromers are coming. I've heard reports of early Kings in the tribs. Only a matter of time. Then it's Game On!

-Sean-

No comments: