22 July, 2010

Serenity Now

If you're not familiar with the Ann Arbor Art Fair, let's just say it's a zoo. The town swells with a half million extra people, streets are closed, and its just general chaos. But I found the perfect getawa y just minutes from home - a little quality time on the Huron River.

Heard rumors the hex hatch is rolling and wanted to beat the heat and escape the crowds last night, so off I go. As usual 1-2 others at my secret spot (drove past a few others first -- all fairly crowded). Sadly, no hex and no fish, but a nice evening.

The Huron is a real treat -- often you're just a few miles from civilization, but in many stretches it feels like an up-North river. My highlight was fishing next to a feeding heron. We were probably just 50 feet apart. I wasn't disturbing him, nor he me. We probably did this for 15-20 minutes before the heron moved along (he wasn't getting anything either!).

Nice way to relax at the end of a hectic day, during a hectic week. If storms hold off, may just need to return tonight!

-Sean-

No comments: