13 August, 2010

Beautiful Day

It happened last night. The first ski magazine of the season was awaiting me in the mailbox. For me, this is a special day. Usually it's at about the time I'm getting fairly tired of Summer and longing for the joys of Winter.

This event triggers thoughts of crisp days outside, epic powder, and the beautiful landscapes afforded by a fresh snow. Skiing clears my head, recharges my soul, and does so much more. And now that I have the passion for Winter steelheading, that makes me welcome the season even more. I love the uncrowded river and the complexities Winter affords to chasing chrome.

I've always loved Winter, although in recent years, I've come to a better place with Summer. Camping and trout fishing on a calm Summer evening is certainly a wonderful thing. Or relaxing on my back deck with both grills blazing. Cycling on a hot day is tremendous.

But, this Summer's been different. Not cold like last year, but stifling humidity, rolling severe thunderstorms, and consistent high temps (camping s*cks when it's hot, I think). So when I saw the Canada geese fly over last night and found the first issue of Powder in my mailbox, it was a good moment.

-Sean-

No comments: