26 August, 2010

High Road

As the time on runs out on my Honda Element lease I've started to contemplate what will be next. Current front-runners seem to be a full-size extended cab pickup from Chevy or Ford or a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. All seem to meet most of my needs, including fuel economy, functionality, price, and the ability to seat four when needed.

One key thing unites all of these considerations. Ground clearance. While the Element's all-wheel drive goes quite surprisingly through a fair bit, there's nothing that can replace plain ole' inches under the axles. I've found myself in a couple of situations in recent months where I probably shouldn't have been. While seeking out spots on the AuSable I found myself high-centered and realized I'd better harness momentum or risk getting stuck. On a recent offroad foray in the Manistee National Forest I turned down a road, that degraded to a two-track, and later into a deer path. Unfortunately I was quickly plowing sand. A VERY quick shift to reverse and some skillful backing got me out.

In the past, I've owned several Jeeps -- Grand Cherokees and Cherokees. Their strongest suit was always a simple, stout drivetrain coupled with tremendous ground clearance. I can't ever remember high-centering one and I certainly had those vehicles back in the woods. Obviously a full-size truck would have similar properties.

Now the challenges. At this point, I'm not sure if or how I can get my Yakima rack system on a Wrangler Unlimited. No mounts. No gutters. Now what? Not having a roof rack for bikes, skis, kayaks, canoes, etc. is unacceptable. Unless I have a pickup. On the pickup side, I have some doubts it will fit in my garage.

Ah, well. Test driving will likely tell. I've got a little time, but it's good to have thought through what you want before you hit the market.

-Sean-

No comments: