05 August, 2010

R.I.P. Seven Dollar Tent

This weekend's camping/fishing trip on the PM marked the death knell for the $7 tent. Last Fall I replaced it with Moraine 23 from The North Face. A purchase at the TNF outlet store, the new tent cost 10x it's predecessor! This trip was my first opportunity to try it out.

What a novelty that the prospect of a little rain didn't cancel my plans. It was nice to have confidence that as long as it wasn't going to be ark-like conditions, I'd be just fine. With the $7 Special, I'd have been scrambling to find a low-cost local motel room.

I'd set the new tent up previously in my family room. It's a three-pole model so the whole "what goes where" equation was a little complex, but I figured it out eventually. This weekend, I arrived at my campsite and had it set-up in just a few moments - correctly, I might add. I'd also brought along some waterproofing spray, so this was an ideal opportunity to give it a couple coats. Sure enough, started to drizzle just as I finished.

Only disappointment is that as I bought a discontinued model, I can't find the matching footprint anyplace. And since the tent's an odd shape, this will take some custom work. The tarp I'd brought along was just a little bit too small. Since an effective ground sheet is a key to longevity and retaining waterproof performance, I'll need to get this figured out for the next trip.

First night I slumbered happily with the rainfly on. Sure enough, a few rain drops validated that as a good decision. Everything remained dry and tight. Second night was warmer, but dry. I love sleeping in a tent sans rainfly. The view of the trees and/or nighttime sky is so cool and relaxing. Tradeoff is, you're getting up a little earlier as there's no shelter from the sunrise. But it's completely worth it.

As with all products from The North Face, I'm very pleased. These guys are another very dependable brand (I'd love a Denali fleece jacket - but at $125, I doubt that happens any time soon). Set-up was quick and easy, as was teardown. Components seem well-built and durable and design features are nice. I think I'll get years of good service.

-Sean-

No comments: