17 September, 2010

Fall Trout

I started my fly fishing journey with Steelhead -- which I imagine will always be my passion. Later I discovered trout and found that rather fun, too. Although, I've always thought of that as a summer thing. A pleasant June evening on the PM or AuSable tossing BWO's on a 4-weight at dusk before retiring to a campfire to cook dinner.Or perhaps mid-morning drifting nymphs. In shear numbers, this is how I've caught most of my trout. Although, I must admit my two biggest fish were actually surprises in Winter while steelheading.

At any rate, I've typically felt like trout fishing was "over" once the terrestrials were done and the salmon showed up. That's the time I tear down the 4-6 weight rods and starting digging around for the 8 weight sticks. But this weekend I think I'll mix that up and hit the Pere on Sunday (have a wedding in Mt. Pleasant on Saturday) for some late-season trout. I've packed my 6 weight for nymphs and an 8 weight with a 300 grain sink tip for streamers. Time to expand my repertoire. Current reports have the salmon run primarily focused on the lower river, so this should keep the crowds down.

Either way, some quality time standing in my favorite river will be most enjoyable!

-Sean-

No comments: