21 September, 2010

So Much Water, So Little Time

Just finished re-reading Bob Linsenman's excellent book "Best Streams for Great Lakes Steelhead". Probably not a beginner's book (I think most of it was lost on me when I read it the first time), but this time I got so much from it.

One big thing was a whole wealth of new locations. I was especially captivated by the rivers of Southern Ontario, as well as the Steelhead Alley rivers of Ohio/Pennsylvania. The Ontario rivers seem especially alluring. Most seem big and perfect for swinging flies or drifting nymphs on fly gear or centerpin. Plus, it's Canada and they're just cooler.

Of course how to fit this into life is a bit more challenging. Road trips take time - a precious commodity these days. I suppose I'll just put them on my bucket list.I'm pretty good about getting to this sort of thing, but you can never tell when the opportunity will arise. Meanwhile, I've already got two Fall steelhead trips brewing, plus at least one Winter trip solidified. Was talking to a guide friend today who thought the upcoming season looked to be as good as last Fall/Winter -- woo hoo!!!

-Sean-

No comments: