10 November, 2010

Rock(er) On

Looks like the "next big thing" in skis is rocker. Reading a lot of articles touting it as the latest innovation, on par with shaped skis. As a marketer, I am immediately suspicious. Shane McConkey developed the Volant Spatula in 2004, and the K2 Pontoon shortly after that. If rocker's such a revelation, why has it taken 6 years to hit the market? The answer seems simple -- the ski industry had nothing else new to sell us. Unless you're a park rat, twin tips are unneccessary and passe. The adoption of shorter shaped skis has largely been completed. I seldom see the long skinny sticks anymore. So the marketing machine needed to find something we could lust after.

What's fascinating is that I somehow missed this whole movement. Normally, I'm a gearhead in almost any pursuit. I think that at the root of it all, I'm really happy with my ski gear. My Nordica Speedmachine 10 boots have a full custom footbed and a completely worked-over fit. They're the most comfortable, responsive boots I've ever owned. My K2 Public Enemy skis are the perfect all-around Michigan boards, and solid for Western groomers. When the fluff falls, my Line Prophet 100 skis are the stuff for powder. I love my ski gear -- I bought exactly what I wanted at the time and have remained happy.

Now, I just need that snow to get started! Nice to see Big Cottonwood Canyon in Utah getting 15" this week. It will be here soon enough!

-Sean-

No comments: