19 November, 2010

Wind Blows

Had some real run-ins with the wind while fishing this Fall. Bailed out on the second day of a two-day trip on the Manistee in late October after a HUGE tree blew down into the river not far from the boat. This weekend bailed on last day in the UP when winds got consistently above 30 mph. Talked to my Dad today and he fished very little this week as the wind continued.

I can tolerate so many outdoor conditions, but nothing seems to make outdoor conditions difficult or impossible like high winds. I've fished all day in solid pouring rain. Snow's great, and as long as temps aren't in the negative digits, cold's fine, too. But some solid, sustained high wind sends me scurrying for shelter.

Cycling -- if it's windy, I stay home. Too much work. I don't even try.

In skiing, I can tolerate it, to a point. My most hairy day was skiing Solitude, UT with sustained 40 mph winds and a full-blown thunder AND lightning storm. Weird, but I stayed out there. I did an evening at Caberfae a couple of years back with 30mph sustained and gusts to over 50. Felt like being sandblasted when you skied under the snow guns. Not quite sure why THOSE were running.

Wind is definitely my outdoor Kryptonite. What's yours?

-Sean-

No comments: