16 December, 2010

Great Scott!

It started with a used A2 9' 6-weight when I decided it was time to upgrade from my starter Ross Essence FS. Then a sweet used S3 in 9'6" for indicator steelhead fishing. And it's continued from there -- I currently own 4 total. Scott rods have rapidly become my go-to resource.

That A2 changed my fishing world. Suddenly longer casts were easy. Wind was less an issue. Somehow I could just magically cover more water more easily and more accurately. I'm really looking forward to Spring/Summer dries on my new 8'6" 4-weight A3. I've only test cast it on the grass, but it's butter-smooth and sniper accurate so far. With a Ross CLA 1.5 and a Rio Selective Trout line I think it will be a favorite for a pleasant evening tossing dry flies. I love my A2 6, but at times it's felt a bit like hunting rabbits with a howitzer. Can't wait to flick size 16 Hendricksons in the Mason Tract or the PM on a summer evening!

The S3 is a similar magic stick for steelhead. That extra 6" is great for line control and mending. And this rod roll casts like a beast. Accurate, powerful, and with nice open loops that keep my collection of bugs, weights, indicators and other hardware from turning into a tangled mess.

I think what's most interesting for me with Scott rods is that I just don't have to think about casting form. In fact, the less I think, the better I cast. With some other rods I seem to need to be more conscious. Since fly fishing is a very immersive experience for me (pun intended) having a rod I know I don't really have to pay close attention to is perfect.

Another benefit - all Scotts from the high-end bamboo models down to the entry-level A series are made in the USA. And, the company is owned by Bill Ford (yeah, THAT Ford family). US-based manufacturing, Michigan-based ownership. Everyone wins. 

In the market for a new rod? Give a Scott a cast or two. It may surprise you.

-Sean-

No comments: