12 January, 2011

First Outing

Got out to ski for the first time this season on Sunday at Caberfae. Late snow and a busy Holiday season kept me off the slopes. Probably the latest start any time in the past few years. Although I must admit, I've not got a powerful competitor for my Winter attention in chasing steel on the fly. The fish vs. ski decision is increasingly difficult!

For me, skiing is the one activity where I don't seem to gather dust. Despite being off skis since last Spring, from my first turn it was ON. Nice feeling. By the afternoon I was ripping some bumped up terrain at full tilt.

Conditions were surprising, considering only a week before had seen rain and temps in the 50's. A week of good snow and cold conditions to enable snowmaking had most runs covered. Another unexpected -- very little ice. After a freeze-thaw, this was pretty shocking. Now we just need a couple of weeks of consistent cold and a few good dumps.

For this trip, just took my K2 Public Enemies. I'm now on my third season with these boards and I like them better all the time. Their versatility is pretty astounding. Cruise pretty well, you can push them hard in bumps and they make solid short-radius turns. And for a park-pipe ski they're solid on icy conditions.

Hope you're able to get out and play in the cold weather!

-Sean-

No comments: