18 January, 2011

Getting Started - Gear Up

At this point, you've been out with a buddy a time or two, done one or two days with a guide, and you've got the itch. Yes, NOW it's time to invest a bit. Unless you're laser focused on what you want to do, this post can help you save a ton of money.

Rod/Reel
Fly gear manufacturers want to get new people into the market. As such, there's been a flood of good entry-level rods and reels, including some complete packages, hitting the market. Many are surprisingly good. I started with the Ross Worldwide Essence series. For a couple hundred bucks you get a nice rod, decent reel for trout or smallmouth, and it's all set up with backing, a line, and even a leader. I still own this rod and use it to pitch streamers on a 200 grain sink tip and as a back-up and buddy rod (remember that part about teaching new folks?). LL Bean's Streamlight series look mighty nice, at a similar price point.

If you're looking for an all-around rod for trout, smallmouth that's also acceptable for panfish, I'd start with a 5/6 weight. If you truly think you're commited to the more aggressive freshwater species like steelhead or salmon, you're a special case and we'll deal with you later. Get ready to spend a bunch more money.

Waders/Boots
Your first key decision will be bootfoot waders versus stockingfoot with separate boots. While the latter is more expensive and slower to put on, I would recommend them strongly. You'll have more support, which is important as you're learning to wade, and they'll be more comfortable to wear all day.

I love my Simms G3 waders and Rivershed boots. Durable, comfortable, and everything's done right. But, that cash adds up fast. For a beginner, I'm going to suggest an alternative -- go cheap. I have a pair of FrogTogs waders that I picked up for a back-up when I had issues with some Orvis waders that had to be sent back. Sure, cheap waders won't fit as well, or be as breathable, but if you're starting out and not expecting long hikes or brutal conditions, they're fine. Buy what you find on sale. Don't pay over a hundred bucks. If you're going to splurge, do it on your boots, then you can keep those when you make the move to Simms, Patagonia, Cloudveil, Redington or some better wader. I've always had good luck with Simms boots, so I tend to recommend those and you can score a nice boot for $125-175.

The Other Stuff
You'll need a few basics to get out on the water:
  • Flies - hit the local fly shop, ask them to suggest a starter selection of dries and nymphs. 3-5 patterns of dries and a couple of nymphs (I use pheasant tails and hare's ears a lot) should do you.
  • Leaders - buy a 3-pack of 4X or 6X leaders in 9'. I use cheap ones from Cabelas - $8 for a 3-pack for most of my trout/smallie fishing. You'll acquire more lengths, weights and other configurations after you figure out what you're doing.
  • Snips - cheap snips will only frustrate you with poor cuts and ragged edges. Splurge here and spend $10-20 on a decent snip. I like the Fishpond Pitchfork myself. Stay out of the bin of $3 Chinese specials up on the front counter.
  • Hemostat - the easy way to unhook a fish. Again, this isn't a good place to save money. I use primarily Dr. Slick tools and I've never had an issue.
  • Tippet - unless you want to go through a bazillion $$$ in pre-made leader, buy some tippet. I just match my primary leader weight, or splurge and pick up 4x and 6x. I'm a fan of the Rio products.
  • Fly Box - you need something to hold all those flies. I bought cheap ones and later regretted it. My standard is now the Scientific Anglers System X boxes. Cliff Outdoors makes some sweet boxes, too and all made in the USA. Plan on spending $20-30 for a decent box.
Stuff You Don't Need (Yet)
There are a vast range of other items you might think you'll need that I'd suggest you hold off on for a variety of reasons.
  • Net - when starting I lugged around nets of various sizes. They were clumsy and usually in the way. The vast majority of the fish you'll catch initially won't be anything huge and can be easily handled without a net. It's just one more thing to manage. Maybe later you'll want one when you start chasing the big fish, but I still don't carry one.
  • Vest - the fly vest may have become a cliche. There are a wide range of solid alternatives with lanyards, chest packs, waist packs, sling bags, and other options. I've been at this a while and I still haven't settled on what to use. If you tie up $150 in a vest now, you may regret it later. if you really can't manage the stuff above, pick up a lanyard for $25 to get started.
  • Wading Staff - the cheap ones are inferior and the good ones are expensive. Plus, I think they enable false confidence. At least for a while, if you feel totally uncomfortable, you don't belong there. Get out and walk around the hole.
There you have it, a reasonable start for a few hundred bucks. With this, you'll be ready to chase trout, smallmouth, and many other species in a wide range of rivers. As I said earlier, if you want to chase salmon or steelhead, you're signing up for a whole different program with more expensive reels, stiffer rods, and some more complex decisions to make.

-Sean-

No comments: