03 January, 2011

Outdoor Resolutions

Well, it's that time of year, right? Here are a few on my list:

  1. Get back up to 50-75 mile per week average cycling program. I slipped off last year mostly due to not forming the habit early in the Spring. This year, I'll rectify that.
  2. Catch a steelhead on the swing on a fly I tied. Had a chance to fish a couple last week and  I'm definitely starting to more clearly understand the variables that make them attractive and properly "swimmy".
  3. Do at least two multi-night camping trips. Did one last Summer and really enjoyed unplugging and disconnecting from the outside world. The true meaning of Down Time.
  4. Resolve the shotgun conundrum. My Winchester pump is fine, unless you want to shoot steel or shells larger than 2-3/4". My Remington 11-48 just isn't working out; can't seem to hit anything. And my Stoeger side-by-side is pretty much only for upland birds. I'd like a gun suitable for clays, waterfowl, and rabbits. My guess is that looks like one of the newer synthetic autoloaders like the Remington VersaMax.
  5. Fish at least two new rivers. Finding time to get away can always be challenging. So, when I do, I want to ensure a good experience. Last year I spent time on both the Escanaba and AuSable and discovered more about why they're legendary streams. I have a couple in mind for this year already.
  6. Learn to row a drift boat. I've been considering buying a boat. Would probably help me make the decision if I'd ever rowed one.
  7. Ride at least one longer mountain bike loop per month. I did more short rides last year, but never did make trails like Island Lake's longer loops.
  8. Try at least two new outdoor things. Last year that included duck hunting and swinging for steelhead. I greatly enjoyed both. No specific goal this year, but when I stumble on something, I'll pounce on it.
  9. Finally learn to properly adjust modern indexed shifting on my road bike. I read an article last night that started to de-mistify it for me. In Ye Olden Days (when I was a mechanic at a shop) the limit screws were key and cable tension wasn't especially important. It would seem that has changed.
  10. Ski I-75 at Caberfae. The toughest run at my primary ski area is seldom open. And when it is, it's not for long -- an hour tops. Last year, I had one chance. I didn't take it as I was on my second run of my second outing of the year. Didn't feel loosened up for it. When I was -- CLOSED.
There are mine; how about you? Have some in mind? Hope the Holidays were good to you and you got some chances to play outside.

-Sean-

No comments: