09 March, 2011

Bobbin' Along

Been playing around with some float alternatives for bigger water with more flow. I've noticed that the standard Blackbird Phantoms don't really get it done in these situations. With a maximum size of 7 grams, they don't really carry enough shot to get a good presentation.

On Sunday, I ran a 16g Drennan Piker, slip style. Simply put on an upper float stop, slip on the float, and then add a lower stop. One issue I've had with rigging for bigger water is opportunities for tangles. When you're throwing that much hardware a little extra consideration for reducing birds nests is worthwhile. With the slip rig there's so much less to catch line, shot, or flies. Compare this to the surgical tubing fixed style of the Phantom, or even the Thill Ice n' Fly and it's easy to see the advantages of the Piker.

My only issue is that 16 grams might be a little too much float, especially with a soft Winter strike. I'll probably look around for something similar in 10-12 grams. Although my impression is based solely on an afternoon on the lower Huron river. I'm curious what I'll think in the Manistee or Manistique.

Glad I explored this. I like float fishing, but the right indicator really seems to make a difference in getting a proper, effective rig set-up.

-Sean-

No comments: