15 March, 2011

Done

I'm done with Winter. Yes, I know, hard to believe as I've always been such a proponent. Sure, some ski areas are still open and yes, I COULD get out just once more. Perhaps it's because we're in the midst of my least favorite of Michigan's seasons - Transitional. It's really not the Winter we all know of January. But it's also not quite Spring. We get a little warm-up and a sunny day, followed by a surprise 4" snow.

I think I realized it when I was waxing my skis after my last trip. I just thought to myself, "Well, that's it for this season..." It probably hasn't helped that this wasn't a brilliant ski season for me. A warm Fall with snow coming late meant my first outing wasn't until January; highly unusual for me as I've usually gotten in several days by then. And conditions have been mixed. 50-degree warm-ups were immediately followed by several days in the single digits with 20 mph winds. The perfect way to ensure a solid block of ice. This weather killed some days skiing, as well as a few river trips to chase Winter steelhead.

But there's the promise of Summer. My bike becons. I'm already thinking about getting my streamer fishing program dialed in to be ready for Montana in October. I'm already cooking up some camping/fishing trips. And more...

So I just need to remember during this period of fickle weather that this too shall pass.

-Sean-

No comments: