07 March, 2011

Pin is In

I love my centerpin set-up. When you don't have a boat and need to readily cover some water easily, it's the ticket. There's plenty of controversy about pinning among hardcore fly folks. But, the reality is that from the indicator down, it's basically the same rig I run for indicator fishing with a fly line. I'm not running wax worms or spawn bags, so

Yesterday, after too much time inside as a result of a cold that just won't leave, I headed down to the lower Huron to chase some chrome. Sure, it's not the PM or the Manistee; but it's 40 minutes from home. A big melt Fri-Sat had the river running high and with lots of color. I tried the Flat Rock dam, but there was just too much water to bother, so I headed downstream to some secret spots in Rockwood. Much better! I think I missed one strike, but it was mostly nice to get out on a sunny day. Even found a few great walk-in spots.

With a centerpin, once you find a nice spot, it's pretty easy to just grid it out and start working it. And when you can run a 50 yard drift easily it makes for pretty efficient fishing! I wouldn't use this set-up just anywhere though. In tight quarters with other anglers, it's rude and you can be a river hog. Also, for rivers with short, deep holes like the PM, I wouldn't even consider it. But for big, uncrowded water, it's a sweet way to efficiently and effectively cover the river.

Even though I'm one of Winter's greatest fans; being outside in some warmer weather sure was nice. I think I've turned the corner; I'm ready for Spring.

-Sean-

No comments: