25 March, 2011

The Virtues of Simplicity

The simplest designs frequently seem to be the best. I was thinking about that as I did tear-down on my new Remington Versa Max shotgun last weekend. I must say that I'm impressed by the simple, straightforward design and execution of this firearm. Everything has a purpose, it comes apart and goes back together in a logical fashion that doesn't require a 4,800 page manual and a team of Chinese gymnasts to complete.

This complexity is one of my issues with Ruger firearms. While they seem to be great guns, someone at Ruger seems to take a special twisted interest in complexity for complexity's sake. Ever seen a Ruger Mark series .22 pistol taken apart? Lots of parts and the re-assembly sequence requires some truly ridiculous gyrations to comple. "Hold the receiver at a 17.5 degree angle and the firing pin retainer will slip in..." Seriously?

Scott fly rods are another product that seems to follow this mantra. They extol the virtues of carefully selected materials, lovingly assembled by hand. And the result is a rod that's light, but suprisingly powerful. Simple is better. I love their discussion of The Difference from their web site.

Even more than just a simple design is one that's truly well-thought-out functionally, but at the same time executed in a simple way. I think the Versa Max is a solid example of just that.

-Sean-

No comments: