25 April, 2011

Rip n' Strip

Getting excited for Spring and upping my streamer game for trout and smallmouth this season. The final parts of my new rig for this style are coming together just in time.

As of now, I've got a Scott A3 907-4 rod, a Ross Evolution LT 4 reel with a spare spool, and Rio sinking tip in 200 grain, as well as Rio Outbound Short intermediate line. I really like the Evolution, so I've ordered another spool that I'll put my 300 grain Rio sink tip on for high-flow situations.

I've done a little streamer fishing and always found it a fun style. In clear water it's very cool to watch a charged-up trout pursue and crush your fly. I'm eager to try this style out locally on the Huron River for smallmouth (that's what the intermediate line's for). With gas prices rapidly racing toward $5.00 a gallon, maximizing local fishing opportunities seems well-advised.

Motivation behind this set-up actually started with my Fall trip to Montana's Stonefly Inn this October. This is prime streamer time for big trout in this region. After reading a little, I decided I needed to get my streamer game up a notch. And, if I'm going to be throwing it for 4 days, I thought I should have a rig that's comfortable and delivers great performance.

Get wait to get out and play with this new gear!

-Sean-

No comments: