16 May, 2011

Trout Hunting

Spent a day with Jon Ray on the Manistee to get schooled on stripping streamers for big trout. As my Montana trip this Fall will be mostly this style, Jon wants to help me up my game so I'm ready to have a great experience. We set out on Streamer 101 with some basics - delivering the line efficiently. Stripping streamers is about hitting the right spot at the right time. Especially when fishing from a boat, this is critical. In most cases, you don't get a second cast.

Once we had me consistently delivering the fly to the right spot we set off down the river. This is where things get interesting. See that 2'x2' spot up against the bank under that tree? The fly needs to be RIGHT there. And you learn to look where you're fishing AND keep an eye on what's coming to time your casts to hit the best hidey holes.

Pretty quickly I found my groove and got a handle on targeting a location and delivering a cast. The extra oomph of the 200 grain sink tip definitely allows you to punch it out there.

What I found interesting was how active and focused this style of fishing is - it's much like hunting. You stalk your prey, try to think like a big trout, and then deliver. If you do it right, you pick off that big fish. Plus, I love sight fishing. Seeing that fish hammer your fly is too cool. And streamer fishing is the next level -- watching a big trout chase your fly through the water is tops for adrenaline.

I will say that this is not really a self-taught style. Having a guide who's a good teacher is invaluable. I learned fly selection, casting, fighting, and far, far more under the watchful eye of Jon.

Lots more highlights, insights, and a challenge or two were had. More on these to follow.

-Sean-

No comments: