01 June, 2011

Floaty Toy

Been on the hunt for a canoe since selling off the kayaks recently. I think a canoe will have some advantages, including ability to haul multiple people, versatility as a base for river camping (I'm thinking a Two Hearted overnight needs to be in my Summer plans), and more. For a while, my Dad and I have wanted to try the UP's Fox river a look. But it's not great wading water, has little access, and other challenges. Unfortunately my parents 17' Grumman aluminum canoe handles like a battleship, and weighs about the same.

I had a chance to paddle one of the new generation of Royalex canoes last year on the Chippewa river. Light, easy to handle, easy to paddle, and made for a very comfortable day.

First boat I considered was a Mad River Explorer. While I liked the boat for its design and construction, most reviews I read pegged it as more of a flat water boat, and at 72 pounds it's really too heavy to get on the roof of the Jeep when solo.

While shopping, I ran into the Old Town Penobscot. Most reviews I found described this as great river boat, due to some rocker, and a passable flat water floater, too! And, at 58 pounds (lighter than most any 16' Royalex boat I found) it just about flies up onto my roof racks. Several reviewers added that its a very competent solo boat simply by reversing it and sitting backwards in the bow seat (to center weight distribution). Bonus!
A little time spent on Craigslist showed me a gently used Penobscot about 20 miles from home. After a quick visit and some price negotiation, I had a canoe. Above the waterline, you can barely tell it's not new. Below, there's a bit of river rash, but it's surprisingly minimal. Need to score some paddles, but then it's ready to get wet!

Won't replace a drift boat, but for now it's cheaper, easier to store, and more versatile.

-Sean-

No comments: